Lonesome George

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

I think this is George, but I'm not sure.  It could be Martha.  I know it is one or the other because of the white feather in the middle of the breast.  This is one of the birds that has been visiting regularly for the last few years.

I use "lonesome" to describe his apparent social status when visiting, not as part of his name.  The real Lonesome George was a sole surviving Pinta Island Galapagos Tortoise who died in 2012.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

A Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) has spent a lot of time alone in my trees over the entire Fourth of July weekend and since.  I hear chattering up there all day long.  Summer is the breeding season for Bald Eagles.  There is a nesting pair about a quarter mile up the road.  I have been wondering if this is one member of that pair.

Bald Eagles are year-around residents in this area.  Pairs usually remain monogamous for life.  Two birds often stop by together, but only one has been visiting lately.  Both parents will incubate and care for the chicks.  This may be where they come when relieved by their mate.  Both of these photos were taken about 7:00 AM this morning.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

These are my eagle trees, Douglas Firs, on the west edge of the yard.  In the photos above, he was sitting high up in the left tree.  Now, can you see him sitting in the right-most tree at the bottom of the top section?  Right-click the photo to view it full size.  Look for his white head a bit left of the trunk.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

Zooming in closer, this might help locate him in the photo above.  These last two photos were taken at about noon today, when I heard chattering again.  They don't always perch in easy view for the camera, but I got lucky this time.  I never get tired of these visits.