Eagles of Ala Spit


Ala Spit is a narrow sandspit off Whidbey Island which I can see from my house.  It is also an Island County park.  I have found it to be a good spot for viewing wildlife and this morning's visit was no exception.  On the lee side of the spit, I encountered a mature pair of Bald Eagles (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) each perched on one of the old pilings in the pocket estuary.


Western Washington has one of the largest concentrations of Bald Eagles in the contiguous 48 US states.  Northern Puget Sound and the San Juans are productive breeding areas.  The eagles visit the two hunting perches in my yard almost daily.  I know they are around when I hear their chattering calls announcing their arrival.


As common as they are around here, it is always a thrill to catch sight of these large and beautiful birds.  It certainly was a treat for me on this very chilly morning.