Flycatcher


My neighbor sent me this photo for help with identification.  I know it's a Flycatcher, but I am not sure what kind it is.  The photo was shot on South Fidalgo Island at the northern end of Puget Sound in Washington State.  My best guess is Pacific-slope Flycatcher (Empidonax difficilis) but that is only a guess.  Can anyone help identify this Flycatcher?  My neighbor and I thank you for your help.

UPDATE:  In comments to the post, both Dan McShane and Jill's friend Ian Paulsen have confirmed that this is indeed a Pacific-slope Flycatcher.  I also contacted the Seattle Audubon Society and this was their response:
...I believe I agree with you that the photo is of a Pacific-slope Flycatcher.  As you know they can be notoriously difficult to i.d., but this one so nicely shows a slight crest, an eye-ring that tapers to the back of the head (or The white eye-ring extends to the back in a teardrop shape. ), and the buffy wing-bars of the juvenile.
Seattle Audubon publishes the great BirdWeb site featuring the birds of Washington State.  I use this site a lot for identification and information about the birds I see.

So there you have it.  I have gotten into trouble trying to ID birds on my own by leafing through books or searching websites.  It's great to get some expert help.  My neighbor Dan Codd and I thank everyone for their assistance.


Photo:  Dan Codd

Comments

  1. I have my ace bird guy on it! Shared the link on his FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pacific-slope flycatcher per Ian Paulsen of Bainbridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyonefor stopping by and weighing in on the ID of this Flycatcher. It looks like we have confirmed it to be a Pacific-slope Flycatcher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty photo! I am jealous of those who can photograph birds so well. I feel I am too impatient.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment